Ever wonder what your kids are doing around the house when you’re away or who is stealing all the food in the employee fridge? Wonder no further, as all you have to do is get your hands on something like Amcrest’s new QSD-721 HD 720P Hidden Video Camera. It comes in under $100 (about $89.99 on average) and records up to 10 hours of 720p video on a single charge (which means it’s completely wireless).
It comes with all sorts of options like scheduled recordings, motion detection, audio recording and so much more. All while storing everything on a microSD card that you can retrieve and view everything from later. These are great for travel as some of us use these (various brands) to keep an eye on our hotel rooms while away (to make sure no curious eyes are prying around in our camera gear).
Keep in mind that the lens is tiny and the camera is meant for low power consumption. This means that you aren’t going to get the highest quality 720p, but you should still be able to make everything out just fine. I’d describe these kind of spy cams as coming in around the quality of what smartphones could do about 4 years ago–which still makes them great.
Let’s look at some of the features…
- 720p HD Video Quality: Record with a clear and high video resolution.
- Motion Detection: Recordings will trigger upon motion entering the field of view.
- Voice Detection: Select this option to record only when voice or talk is detected.
- Recording Via Vibrations: Recordings will trigger when vibration is detected in this mode.
- Scheduled Recordings: Set a time to automatically turn on or off recording on a 7-day circular recording cycle.
- SuperWide Viewing Angle: See more with a superwide 160° field of view.
- Circular or Loop Recording: Overwrites the oldest recordings first once memory card is full so that recording can continue.
- Time Stamp: Records a time stamp onto the video.
- Auto on/off mode: Select between different on and off scenarios.
- Selectable day/night mode: Select day or night mode to suit your environment.
- Auto gapless split file: Split files without gaps at every 10, 15, or 30 minutes of recording.
- Orientation: Select proper orientation when the video needs to be adjusted.
- Selectable Resolution: Select between 1280×720 VGA or 640×360 QVGA.
- Frame rate adjustment: Adjust the frame rate to save on memory space.
- Configurable video quality: Choose between High, Medium, or Low video qualities.
- Micro SD Storage: Supports up to a 64GB microSD card.
The 160° field of view gives you everything you need for watching a wide-open space like a full hotel room by simply placing it in a corner somewhere. Watch your living room or baby room while the nanny is taking care of things or simply find out which cat is sneaking into your backyard. So many scenarios to have fun with. The rotating lens adds even more icing to mix.
No batteries, no fuss and it can also sit around in stand-by mode for what seems as forever compared to some of the ones we have used in the past.
Along with the camera, you get a DC wall charger, a USB 2.0 cable and a small guide to walk you through all the customizations.
We will make sure to bring you more if we get our hands on one to test out!