Credit of this intel comes from James, one of our top editors that just came across this news and I felt it was more than worth sharing for him since he is a bit distracted with life at the moment (we’re here for you James!). We don’t always jump on the rumor train, but this is one that is taking the web with force.
DGISE has supposedly leaked that GoPro will be launching their new GoPro 4 unit ahead of the originally leaked “March 2015” schedule, instead hitting the market this October. Our personal predictions were that this would be happening as they are going to want to take advantage of the upcoming holiday season. So we were not too surprised to hear this, and believe it would be a sound strategy.
Ad: Find the GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition on Amazon!
Features will include:
- 240 frames per second (fps) at 720p resolution, 120 fps at 1080p and 30 fps at 4k.
- The new SoC Ambarella A9 chip (dual A9 ARM Core ® CortexTM-A9 processor 1GHz with FPU accelerator)
- 13-megapixel photo sensor
- New lens for shooting in the dark
- Multi-Exposure and HDR WDR tone mapping
- Electronic image stabilization
- Dual sensor interfaces 12-lane SLVDS/HiSPiTM/subLVDS
- Remote Playback
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- H.264/BP/MP/HP level 5.1 and MJPEG encoding
- Underwater range of 60 meters in front of the camera
The rumored launch price is still rumored to be $340, which drops the price down from the current already mega-popular GoPro Hero3+ (review).
The new models will be broken down into the typical spread, each with their own highlights. The silver edition will not support wireless connectivity like the Black Edition, but in exchange, will sport a built-in back-side LCD display. The Black Edition will support wireless connectivity, but it will not have a screen due to heat limitations of the unit created by it’s added features.
GoPro has also announced that they will be releasing an entry level “Hero” model that will run buyers just $129, to address those not looking to spend so much. You can find more information here.