The next level of “wow” for home cinema? Well, Sony has a pretty good contender. Sony, Samsung, LG and Epson are some of the hottest names in projection and now Sony has some new ammunition to bring to the game.
Announced recently at CEDIA 2018, Sony has three new models coming to the market, including their VPL-VW295ES (available now for an MSRP of $4,998), VPL-VW295ES (available for pre-order with an MSRP of $9,998) and their new flagship VPL-VW995ES laser projector that looks absolutely amazing (available for pre-order for a hefty MSRP of $34,998).
All three of the projectors take advantage of the HDMI 2.0 spec’s 18 Gbps throughput to deliver 4K HDR @60p and come with a list of features to impress any home enthusiast, but what we are going to focus on today is that flagship 995ES. Providing deep blacks and and an amazing image thanks to their All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens, this new project can not only bring your movies to life with great detail, but it is also quite bright at 2,200 lumens. It’s laser-phosphor light source can project an image anywhere from 60-inches to 300-inches without losing a single bit of detail and its ability to deliver fantastic blacks despite how bright everything is, is impressive.
I have been a big fan of Sony for quite some time now, owning a number of their solutions since I bought into one of their SXRD rear projection models around 14 or so years ago. They had a few years where they fell on their face because some wise person high up thought it was smart to begin rebranding their TV’s by licensing their name out to other companies, resulting in terrible looking models entering the market with Sony’s name on them–but they quickly pulled out after those few years, obviously realizing their mistake. I don’t think any of their projectors were affected, but you can imagine how this warped their image for some time. Since then, Sony seems to be hell bent on keeping competitive and remaining one of the top three brands on the market. This projector is a perfect example of this.
Since this is a laser projector, you have no lamps to replace during its life and it promises up to 20,000 hrs of operation (life span). Which means if you were to watch one movie a day, every day of the year, it would take you over 27 years before it will stop producing an image.
It also has a decent lens shift to it, in case you can’t install it dead center to the screen (ie, based on the locations of your studs for a secure mount). Of course it offers 3D (active glasses) and everything else you’d expect out of a flagship, and you can bet that you won’t be spending much time in public theaters once you had something like this installed in your own personal theater.
As mentioned, the Sony 995ES projector is not yet available but will be launching soon. You can pre-order it currently using the button below that will take you to the page on Amazon, where you can also learn a little more about. We have also provided the list of specs below as well.
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D)
- 22 1/16″ x 8 25/32″ x 19 17/32”
- Approx. 49 lb (22 kg)
- DISPLAY SYSTEM
- 4K SXRD panel, projection system
- DISPLAY RESOLUTION
- Computer signal input: Maximum display resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 dots (HDMI input only)/video signal input: 480/60p, 576/50p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60 i, 1080/50 i, 1080/60p, 1080/50p, 1080/24p, 3840 x 2160/24p, 3840 x 2160/25p, 3840 x 2160/30p, 3840 x 2160/50p, 3840 x 2160/60p, 4096 x 2160/24p, 4096 x 2160/25p, 4096 x 2160/30p, 4096 x 2160/50p, 4096 x 2160/60p
- LIGHT SOURCE
- Laser diode
- CONTRAST RATIO
- ?: 1 (Dynamic Contrast)
- EFFECTIVE IMAGER SIZE
- 0.74″ x 3
- EFFECTIVE PIXELS
- 26,542,080 (4096 x 2160 x 3) pixels
- PROJECTION LENS SHIFT
- VPLL-Z7008 (Optional): Powered V ±50%, H ±18%, VPLL-Z7013 (Bundled): Powered V ±80%, H ±31%
- SCREEN SIZE
- 60″ to 300″/1,524 mm to 7,620 mm (diag.)
- PROJECTION LENS ZOOM / FOCUS
- OPERATING TEMPERATURE / HUMIDITY
- 41°F to 95°F (5°C to 35°C)/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- STORAGE TEMPERATURE / HUMIDITY
- 14 °F to +140 °F (-10 °C to +60 °C )/20% to 80% (no condensation)
- LIGHT OUTPUT
- 2,200 lm
- COLOR LIGHT OUTPUT
- 2,200 lm
Eco and energy saving
- POWER CONSUMPTION (STANDBY MODE)
- 0.4 W (When “Remote Start” is set to “Off”)
- POWER CONSUMPTION (NETWORKED STANDBY MODE)
- 1.0 W (LAN) (When “Remote Start” is set to “On”) When a LAN terminal is not connected, it becomes a low power consumption mode (0.5 W).
- STANDBY MODE ACTIVATED
- After about 10 Minutes
What’s In The Box
- Remote Control (RM-PJ24)
- Size AA (R6) manganese batteries (2)
- AC Power Cord (1), Lens Cap (1)
- Operating Instructions (CD-ROM)
- Quick Reference Manual
- Safety Regulations (1)
- Active 3D Glasses – TDG-BT500A (Optional)
- Short Throw Lens – VPLL-Z7008 (Optional)