Last year we had the chance to sit down with the Mini Boom and Boom by Ultimate Ears (UE), a Logitech brand dedicated to devilishly great sounding in-ear buds and speakers. They wound up being two of the best wireless speakers we got in the mail for review to-date. Also two of the best wireless speakers we gave away to you, our wonderful readers.
This time, UE is back with the Megaboom! Obviously by its looks, it is an upgraded version of the original Boom, bringing a larger sound presence. More volume, more bass (more Boom!) and comes with all of the same features and then some.
It is larger than the Boom, weighs in at less than 2lbs and maintains the same great solid connection the other two speakers have with up to a 100ft Bluetooth connection (and NFC connectivity). The battery is supposed to last up to a whopping 20 hours for your 360 degree music enjoyment!
So what’s new? Besides the battery life, the Megaboom is IPX7 certified, making it both shockproof and waterproof (up to 1m). This is a popular trick to pull off with new Bluetooth speakers by manufacturers. It allows you to take the Megaboom to almost anywhere. School, work or in a canoe as you launch off of a tall waterfall (not actually recommended).
“People want their music wherever they go, and to be part of everything they do. That’s why we designed UE Megaboom to be strong enough to withstand your life and your adventures, and allow you to share the magic of music wherever you go.” (Rory Dooley, general manager of Ultimate Ears).
Another new addition is the ability to update the speaker over the air (via app). This change was also brought to the original Boom as well. There are also other new features that allow you to integrate the Boom and Megaboom with your smartphone (iOS or Android) using various free apps, such as alarm interaction and remote on/off.
Just like the original Boom, the Megaboom can be paired with another Megaboom or even a Boom for stereo sound and even more audio presence.
We don’t know how the new Megaboom actually sounds (detail for detail) as we haven’t had the chance to actually sit down with one yet, but Logitech has assured us that it is bigger, badder and Boom-ier! Looking at the specs, the lower cut-off frequency is 65Hz, where the Mini Boom was 130Hz and Boom 90Hz. Therefore it’s safe to assume that the bass will be more than present. The drivers are also slightly larger than the other two speakers.
It can be found online and most likely in stores (we just haven’t had any confirmations on where just yet). Surprisingly, they are not available on Amazon (yet). There are multiple colors to choose from.
- Pair up to 8 Bluetooth® enabled source devices – Connect up to two source devices at the same time.
- Wirelessly play (stream) to 2 UE MEGABOOMs from one source.
- Mobile range of play is up to 30m (100 ft).
- NFC (passive) enabled – (works with active NFC enabled source devices * Android Jellybean and higher).
- Maximum Sound Level: 90dBA
- Frequency Range: 65Hz – 20kHz
- Drivers: Two 2″ drivers and two 2” x 4” Passive Radiators
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for up to 20 hours of battery life between Micro USB charges.
- Actual battery life will vary with use, settings and environmental conditions.
- Serviceable battery (it can be replaced)
- Charge time: 2.5 hours
2-YEAR LIMITED HARDWARE WARRANTY
- Diameter: 8.3cm (3.3”)
- Height: 22.6 cm (8.9”)
- Weight: 877 g (speaker only)
For Audio Playback:
– Smartphones, tablets and other devices that support Bluetooth® and Bluetooth Smart® wireless audio profile [Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)] or 3.5 mm audio output.
For Phone Calls:
– Phones that support Bluetooth® Hands-Free Profile (HFP1.5)
Waterproof – IPX7 rated:
– UE MEGABOOM can be immersed in liquid up to 1m for up to 30 minutes.